Helpful answers to the questions we get most.
We're always looking to make things as painless as possible for our customers, so we've compiled a list of some of the questions we're asked most. If you have a question that is not answered here, please don't hesitate to contact us online or by calling us at (774) 888-6100. We are here to help!
A check I wrote has been altered. What do I do now?
If you believe that one of your checks has been altered, please contact us immediately by phone at (774) 888-6100, through secure chat or secure email from within Online Banking, or by using our online Video Banking service. We'll complete an affidavit of forgery to assist you with disputing the check.
Are there fees associated with international transactions?
Yes, for the most up-to-date information on our fees, please visit our Fees page.
Can I call a branch directly?
Yes. Select your desired branch from the "Locations" drop-down menu at the top-right of our website. On your branch's individual page you will see the hours and direct phone number associated with that location.
Can I cash in bonds at a BankFive branch?
No, we no longer redeem bonds at our branch locations. However, we can assist customers with completing an application to redeem bonds through the mail. Additional information can be found on the TreasuryDirect website: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm
Can I complete a wire transfer through BankFive? Do I need to be a customer?
BankFive customers can send wires by visiting one of our 13 full-service branch locations, or by contacting us through our online Video Banking service. Please note that you must be a BankFive customer to send a wire transfer through BankFive.
Can I get a bank check from the drive-up?
Yes, bank checks can be purchased at the drive-up.
Can I get a document notarized at a branch?
Yes, we offer Notary services at all of our branch locations. Please call ahead to ensure someone will be available. You will need to bring the document and proper identification to complete. Please note that we are not able to notarize documents at the drive-up. Please visit a branch lobby to have a document notarized. If the lobby is closed and the drive-up is still open, please ring the door bell and someone will meet you. If a notary is available, we'll be happy to notarize the document.
Can I have something notarized in the drive-up?
Unfortunately we are not able to notarize documents at the drive-up. Please visit a branch lobby to have a document notarized. If the lobby is closed and the drive-up is still open, please ring the door bell and someone will meet you. If a notary is available, we'll be happy to notarize the document. We do recommend calling ahead to ensure someone will be available. You will need to bring the document and proper identification to complete.
Can I increase the limit on mobile check deposits?
If you have a check to deposit that would exceed your mobile deposit limit, contact us to request a mobile deposit limit increase. You can contact us by phone at (774) 888-6100, through secure chat or secure email from within Online Banking, or by using our online Video Banking service.
Can I keep my BankFive account if I am moving outside of MA or RI?
Can I link my Checking account to a Savings account to protect myself from overdrafts?
Yes. By linking your BankFive Checking account to a BankFive Savings account, you can use the funds you have in your BankFive Savings account to cover accidental overdrafts in your BankFive Checking account. To link your accounts, call us at (774) 888-6100, contact us through Video Banking, or send us a message through secure chat or secure mail from within Online Banking.
Can I make a deposit by mail?
Yes, please mail to Attention Branch, 79 North Main Street, Fall River, MA 02720, and please include a deposit slip or deposit instructions. You may also request a "Bank by Mail" envelope which includes a deposit slip.
Can I make a one-time or a same-day loan payment?
Yes, we have options that allow you to make one-time payments to any loan that you have with BankFive, including Residential, Personal and Commercial loans. Either of the payment options below will allow for any denomination of payment to be made, including Regular Payments, Escrow Only Payments, Principal Only Payments as well as payments to satisfy late fees.
- Online Payment from BankFive account: Transfer funds from an existing BankFive Checking or Savings account to pay your loan. This can be done from your BankFive account through Online Banking. Click the "Make a Transfer" link under the "Move Money" menu and select the payment and loan accounts from the list.
- Online Payment from External Bank: Payments can be made through Secure Forms when you are logged into Online Banking. Click the "One Time Loan Payment Request" link under the "Secure Forms" menu. External Bank payments received before 4PM on a business day are applied same day, after 4PM will be applied next business day but the withdrawal may take 48 hours to reflect in your external account. If the payment information provided is not valid, your payment on your loan will be reversed and a fee may apply. Please note that there is a $10 charge for each one-time payment made using Secure Forms.
Can I open a new account through secure email?
Potentially. All applications must first be initiated through our Open an Account page. However, if you run into trouble with your application we can assist you over the phone at (774) 888-6100, through secure email or secure chat from within your Online Banking account, or through our Video Banking service.
Can I open an account online? Over the phone?
To open an account online, visit our Open an Account page. With our Video Banking service, we can also assist you with opening up an account from your smartphone, tablet, or desktop computer.
Can I search for a transaction by date?
Yes. To search your transactions by date, log into Online Banking, click into your desired account, and then click on the "Monthly" dropdown menu. Here you will have the ability to select a timeframe, or enter specific dates. Please note that this functionality is not currently available in the mobile app.
Can I set up a recurring loan payment online from my external bank?
Yes, visit a branch or contact the Customer Contact Center to have a recurring loan payment form mailed or emailed to you.
Can I stop a pending transaction in my account?
No. Only posted transactions can be disputed. If you have immediate concerns about a pending charge you can reach out to the merchant directly, otherwise you will need to wait for the charge to post to your BankFive account and then contact us to file a dispute.
Can I use Mint.com to manage my BankFive accounts?
Yes. To use Mint.com with your BankFive accounts, you will first need to have an Online Banking account. Once you have established your Online Banking username and password, log into your Mint.com account, click the "Add Accounts" button, and search for "BankFive". To link your personal BankFive accounts, choose "BankFive (MA)". To link your business BankFive accounts, choose "BankFive(MA)- Business Banking". Once you have selected the appropriate profile, you will be prompted to enter your Online Banking username and password to link your accounts with Mint.com.
Can I use my BankFive debit card for sports betting in Massachusetts?
Yes, BankFive Visa debit cards can be used for sports betting online or in-person from Massachusetts sportsbooks.
Can I use my debit card at the gas pump?
Yes. You will be asked to enter your PIN, and you may be asked to enter your zip code.
Do I need to notify the bank ahead of time if I'll be making a large withdrawal?
In general, you do not need to notify us ahead of time if you will be making a large withdrawal, but it can be helpful, especially if you would like specific denominations.
Do you offer any special accounts for those under the age of 18, or over the age of 65?
Yes, our Free Checking, Basic Checking, and Passbook Savings accounts have no monthly maintenance service charges associated with them, and offer special benefits and reduced fees to those under 18 years old and those 65 and older. In addition, our Nickels Savings Account for Kids is a great way for children to learn the value of saving. We also offer a Student Savings account and a Student Checking account that can be great for high school students.
Does BankFive offer Safe Deposit boxes?
Yes, for more information on our safe deposit boxes, and for a list of which branches they are offered at, please visit our Safe Deposit Boxes page.
How can I increase the limit on a business debit card?
If you would like to increase the limit on your business debit card, you can contact us to request a limit increase. You can contact us by phone at (774) 888-6100, through secure chat or secure email from within your Online Banking account, or through our online Video Banking service.
How do I access the mortgage portal?
Our mortgage borrower portal can be accessed at https://bankfive.mymortgage-online.com/borrower-app/?siteId=5148136647.
How do I increase the limit on my debit card?
If you would like to request a higher daily withdrawal or transaction limit on your BankFive debit card, please contact us by phone at (774) 888-6100, through secure chat or secure email from within your Online Banking account or mobile app, or through Video Banking.
How do I make an appointment at a branch?
Appointments are not required at our branches for most transactions or services, but if you wish to make an appointment with a lending officer, investment executive, or for another reason, please select your desired branch from the "Locations" drop-down menu at the top-right of our website. On your branch's individual page you will see the hours and direct phone number associated with that branch. You can call that number to schedule an appointment. On the pages for our Lending Offices you will also see a contact form that can be used to schedule an appointment.
How do I notify BankFive that I will be traveling?
If you will be traveling, we advise calling our Customer Contact Center to let us know. That way, we will be aware of potential changes to your purchasing habits, and that transactions may occur outside of your normal geographical area. You can reach us by phone at at (774) 888-6100, through secure chat or secure email from within Online Banking, or through Video Banking.
How do I reset my Online Banking username or password?
- To change your Personal Online Banking username and password, log into Online Banking and click "My Settings".
- To change your Business Online Banking username and password, log into Business Online Banking and click "My Profile", then under "Security Information" click "Change User ID" and/or "Change Password".
- If you have forgotten the password associated with your Personal Online Banking account visit https://www.bankfiveonline.com/dbank/live/app/authUpdate.
- If you have forgotten the username associated with your Personal Online Banking account visit https://www.bankfiveonline.com/dbank/live/app/authUpdate and then click the "I forgot my username" link at the bottom of the page.
- If you have forgotten the password for your Business Online Banking account visit https://secure.myvirtualbranch.com/bankfive/ForgotPassword.aspx.
- If you have forgotten the User ID for your Business Online Banking account, visit https://secure.myvirtualbranch.com/bankfive/ForgotUserID.aspx.
How can I order new checks?
- You can order checks from our preferred partner, Harland Clarke. You can place your check order in any of our branches, or through Online Banking.
- For personal accounts, log into your Online Banking account and clicking the "Check Order" link under the "Additional Services" menu.
- For business accounts, log into your Online Banking account, and click the "Service Center" tab. In the "Account Services" box, you should see a "Reorder Checks" link. This will bring you to a page that lists your accounts, and you can order checks by clicking on the "Order Checks" link next to the account for which you'd like the new checks.
- Please note that while there are many check providers who can print checks, Harland Clarke offers free added benefits including recovery support, lost wallet and document replacement, check replacement, and expanded support.
How can I transfer funds from my HELOC to my account at another bank?
In order to transfer HELOC funds to an external account at another financial institution, you will first need a BankFive Checking account. Once you have a BankFive Checking account, you can transfer funds from your HELOC to your BankFive Checking account using Online Banking or the BankFive mobile app. Simply click the "Make a Transfer" button in the mobile app, or select "Make a Transfer" from the "Move Money" menu in Online Banking. Then, you can transfer the funds from your BankFive Checking account to an account at another financial institution. Just log into Online Banking and click the "External Transfers" link under the "Move Money" menu. Please note that External Transfers is not currently available in the BankFive mobile app.
How do I activate my debit card or ATM card?
Call 1-800-992-3808 and answer the prompts to activate your card.
How do I change my mailing address?
You may change your mailing address by completing a Change of Address form. This online form is available in Personal Online Banking by clicking on the "Address Change Request" link under the "Secure Forms" menu. You may also call us at (774) 888-6100 to have a physical copy of the form sent to you, or you may visit any of our 13 branch locations. Address changes can also be done by contacting us via Video Banking.
How do I change the legal name on my account?
If your name has changed, please visit one of our branches with your government issued ID. Name changes can also be done online via our Video Banking service, but you'll still need your government issued ID. If your government ID does not yet reflect your new name, you'll need to show us proof of the name change (for example, your marriage license or divorce decree). Depending on the type of account, you may also need to complete a new signature card or account contract, which can also be done in-branch or online via Video Banking.
How do I close my account?
You may close an account by calling us at (774) 888-6100, by visiting any of our 13 branch locations, or by sending a request by mail. If sending a request by mail, please include a signature for verification purposes, and please mail to BankFive, Attention Customer Contact Center, 79 North Main Street, Fall River, MA 02720.
How do I log into Online Banking?
How do I request a new debit card or ATM card?
If you already had a debit card or ATM card with us, and it has been damaged, lost, or compromised, please call us right away at (774) 888-6100. If you have never had a debit or ATM card with us before, and are looking to obtain your first card, you will need to complete an application. You can obtain this form in a branch, or by logging into your Online Banking account, and clicking on the "ATM/Visa Debit Card Application" link under the "Secure Forms" menu. You can also order a new debit card using our online Video Banking service.
How do I request eStatements?
For personal banking customers, log into Online Banking, and click the "eStatements" link under the "Additional Services" menu. For business banking customers, log into Online Banking, click the "eStatements" tab, and then click the "View eDocuments" link. You will need to review and accept our eDocuments disclosure and view a statement to complete the request.
How do I set up direct deposit with my employer so that my paychecks can be automatically deposited into my BankFive account?
We would recommend downloading our Direct Deposit Form, filling it out, and returning it to your employer. This form contains the information your employer should need to set up direct deposit for your paychecks. Please note that some employers may require you to fill out their own form, but the requested information will likely be similar to BankFive's Direct Deposit Form.
How do I sign up for Online Banking?
- You can sign up for personal Online Banking by clicking on the "Sign Up" link in the BankFive mobile app, or by clicking the "Online Banking Login" button on our website and then the "Register" link under "Personal Banking Login".
- You can sign up for business Online Banking by clicking on the "Register" link in the BankFive Business mobile app, or by contacting us.
I did not receive the full amount I withdrew at an ATM. What do I do now?
If you believe you received an incorrect amount of money from a BankFive ATM machine, please contact the branch as soon as possible. You can find the direct number for each branch by clicking on the branch name under the "Locations" dropdown menu at the top-right of our website. If the branch is not open, please reach out to our Customer Contact Center at (774) 888-6100.
I requested a security code to log into Online Banking, but I haven't received it. What should I do?
- If you've requested a security code for multi-factor authentication, but haven't received it, we recommend trying another delivery method. For example, if you chose the "Call me" method and didn't receive a phone call, try the "Text me" or "Email me" option instead, if they're available to you. Unfortunately, the delivery of the security codes needed for multi-factor authentication can sometimes be blocked by your phone carrier, email provider, or internet service provider. For this reason, we recommend enabling various forms of communication such as email, text message, and phone call delivery. That way, if you have trouble retrieving your security code, you can try another delivery method.
- If you don't yet have multiple communication methods enabled, and are not able to retrieve your security code, you may call us at 774-888-6100 for assistance accessing your account. Once you are able to log into your account, we would strongly recommend adding another method of communication for your account to avoid this problem in the future. Your security options can be designated within Online Banking by clicking "My Settings".
I signed up for eStatements. Why did I receive a paper statement?
If you enroll in eStatements at account opening, you will still receive your first statement via postal mail for address verification purposes. You will not be charged for this initial statement.
I received a call from BankFive's fraud department. How can I tell if the call is legitimate?
Remember that BankFive will never call you and ask for your personal or account information. If you are ever concerned about a caller claiming to be BankFive, hang up and call us back at our main public phone number: (774) 888-6100.
I was notified by one of my Online Bill Pay payees that my payment was made with a debit card. I know it isn't my debit card because the last four digits are different. I sent a Bill Pay through Online Banking, so how was it paid with a debit card that is not mine?
Depending on the payee, some Bill Pay payments are processed using a virtual debit card. To you, the payment looks like a check or electronic transfer, but because the payee receives the virtual debit card payment, the payee (for example, Comcast or Verizon) may send an automated message thanking you for your debit card payment and listing the last four numbers of the virtual debit card. Your personal debit card is not used for this service. In this case, a virtual debit card is simply the method of moving the funds.
On which holidays is the bank closed?
BankFive follows the Federal Reserve's Holiday Schedule. BankFive will be closed on the following holidays. Please note that if the holiday falls on a Sunday, BankFive will be closed on the following Monday as well.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day (also referred to as Washington's Birthday)
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (also referred to as the Fourth of July)
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day (also referred to as Indigenous Peoples Day)
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
In addition, the bank typically closes early on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. We recommend checking the BankFive homepage a few days in advance of Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, as exact closing times will be posted there.
We are closed on Easter Sunday as well, but because Easter is not a Federal Reserve Holiday, we are open the following Monday.
Also, BankFive has made the decision to close on both Mother's Day and Father's Day, to allow our employees to spend the day with their families and loved ones.
Should I notify BankFive if I am receiving a large deposit?
No, that isn't necessary.
What address should I mail my loan payments to?
Please note that as of October 1, 2021, we have a new address for loan payments. Please mail your loan payments to:
Fall River D/B/A BankFive
PO Box 986500
Boston, MA 02298-6500
Please include your payment voucher or account number with your check. You may also make loan payments from your BankFive account through Online Banking. Click the "Make a Transfer" link under the "Move Money" menu and select the payment and loan accounts from the list.
If you use Bill Pay to send your loan payments, please ensure you are using the address above.
What are the bank's hours?
Our hours vary by location. To view the hours for a specific location, please select your desired branch from the "Locations" drop-down menu at the top of our website. You can also visit our Locations page, click on your desired location in the map, and then click the "Hours & More" button.
What fees are associated with BankFive accounts?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule for information regarding our fees.
What happens if I write a check and don't have the funds to cover it?
Knowingly writing a check that you don't have the funds to cover is unlawful. However, from time to time, the need for short-term overdraft protection does occur. BankFive offers courtesy Overdraft Privilege for these occasions.
It is important to note, we are not obligated to pay any item presented for payment if your account does not contain sufficient funds. If we honor an item for you that is presented against insufficient funds, the amount of that item PLUS the bank's Overdraft/NSF fee of $35.00 (per item) will be deducted from your account. This fee is applicable on a per item basis for each item that is presented against insufficient funds. This fee is reduced to $5.00 for account holders 65 and older. Click here for the full Overdraft Privilege Disclosure.
What information do I need to set up online banking?
If you are a new BankFive customer who recently opened your first account with us, you should receive an email within 3 business days with instructions for setting up your Online Banking account. If you are an existing personal customer who has not yet registered for Online Banking, you can register at https://www.bankfiveonline.com/dbank/live/app/register. If you are an existing business customer who has not yet registered for Online Banking, please contact us at (774) 888-6100 for assistance.
What information is needed to open a Nickels Savings Account?
To open a Nickels Savings Account for Kids, you will need to present two forms of ID for your child (typically their social security card and birth certificate). Their social security number and birthdate will be required to open the account, and the Custodian of the account (a parent or guardian) will also need to provide their own driver's license or other identifying document. The Custodian will need to provide their social security number as well.
What is BankFive's FDIC certificate number?
What is BankFive's routing number?
BankFive's routing number is 211370642. Our routing number is also located at the bottom of our website pages, in the footer section. You can also locate our routing number on your BankFive checks. The first grouping of numbers at the bottom of your checks is the bank's routing number, and the second grouping of numbers is your account number.
What is considered "an account in good standing"?
A checking account in good standing is defined as one that has regular deposits and is brought to a positive balance at least once every 30 days for a minimum of 24 hours and has no delinquent loans with us, legal orders, liens or levies outstanding.
What is Overdraft Privilege?
BankFive Overdraft Privilege applies to overdrafts caused by checks, in-person withdrawals, ACH transactions, preauthorized automatic transfers, internet banking, mobile banking and telephone banking transactions. When an account has insufficient funds to cover a check presented for payment, Overdraft Privilege allows the check to clear, the account to have a negative balance, and a $35 fee is charged for each item presented. No application is required for our BankFive Overdraft Privilege; eligibility is at the sole discretion of BankFive and is based on you managing your checking account in a responsible manner. Must be 18 or older to be eligible. If the account does not have Overdraft Privilege, the item is rejected and a $35 fee is assessed.
ATM and one-time debit card transactions will not be covered by this service unless you have elected to OPT IN to this service. You must call our Customer Contact Center, complete a form in a branch or through secure message in online banking to opt-in to ATM and one-time debit card transactions.
For the full Overdraft Privilege Disclosure, click here.
What should I do if I forget my Online Banking username or password?
- If you have forgotten your Online Banking password, click the "Forgot Password" link in the Online Banking login box on our homepage.
- If you are a Personal banking customer and have forgotten your Online Banking username, click on the "Forgot Password" link in the Online Banking login box on our homepage, and then click on the "I forgot my username" link that appears at the bottom of the page.
- If you are a Business banking customer and have forgotten your Online Banking username, please contact us at (774) 888-6100.
What should I do if I notice any suspicious activity or transactions in my account?
If you notice anything suspicious with your accounts, please call us immediately at (774) 888-6100 to provide details.
What should I do if my debit card or ATM card is lost or stolen?
To report a lost or stolen debit or ATM card, please call us immediately at (774) 888-6100 during normal business hours, or after hours at 1-800-472-3272.
When will my mobile deposits become available?
Mobile deposits confirmed as received before 4:00 p.m. on a business day will be credited to your account the same day. Deposits confirmed as received after 4:00 p.m. on a business day, and deposits confirmed as received on holidays, or days that are not business days, will be credited to your account the following business day. For information on when your funds will become available (in other words, when you will be able to withdraw them), please review our Funds Availability disclosure by clicking on the "Your Ability to Withdraw Funds" link on our General Disclosures page. Information regarding mobile deposits can be found in the section titled "Deposits at Automated Teller Machines/Mobile Deposit".
Where are BankFive branches located?
For a list of all BankFive locations, please visit our Locations page.
Where can I download the BankFive mobile app?
You can download the BankFive mobile apps from the iTunes App store and the Google Play store. Please note that we have two separate apps; one for personal banking, and one for business banking. Our personal banking app has an icon with a white background, while our business banking app has an icon with a purple background.
- For iOS:
- BankFive personal mobile app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id642873522
- BankFive business mobile app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id594260224
- For Android:
- BankFive personal mobile app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifs.banking.fiid5441
- BankFive business mobile app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bankfive.imobile
Where can I find branch lobby and drive-up hours?
To find the most up-to-date lobby and drive-up hours for our branches, visit our Locations page, click on your desired branch within the map, and click the "Hours & More" button.
Where can I find my account number?
- On your checks
- Your account number is the second grouping of numbers at the bottom of your checks (the first grouping of numbers is the bank's routing number).
- Within your Personal Online Banking account
- Log into your Personal Online Banking account and click on the name of the account in the "My Accounts" section. Then, click on the downward pointing arrow under "Account Details". The type of account, the account number, the APY, the interest rate, and the accrued interest will now be visible.
- Within your Business Online Banking account
- Log into your Business Online Banking account. The account name, nickname, account number, current balance, and available balance should be visible.
- By calling us
- If you do not have checks or an Online Banking account, please call us for your account number at (774) 888-6100.
Where can I find rates?
Our product rates can be found by clicking the "Rates" dropdown menu at the top-right of our website, or by visiting our Rates page.
Why do I get a pop-up box asking me about cookies when I visit the website?
Why do I keep getting asked for a security code every time I try to log into Online Banking?
- Our Online Banking platform utilizes multi-factor authentication in order to safeguard our customers' accounts. Any time you attempt to log into your account from an unrecognized device or internet browser, you will be prompted to generate a security code, which will be delivered to you by phone call, text message, or email (depending on your account settings and preferences).
- Clicking the "register my private device" button during multi-factor authentication will generally prevent you from needing a security code during future logins from that same browser and device, however any time you clear your browsing history, utilize a private browsing window, or use a browser or device you've never used before, you will be prompted to complete multi-factor authentication again.
Not finding what you're looking for? Call us at 1-744-888-6100 or contact us online and we'd be happy to help!